What to know today
- Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said this afternoon that Democrats will not help Republicans pass a GOP funding bill that would avoid a government shutdown this weekend. Instead, he called for bipartisan support for a shorter-term Democratic measure that would also avoid a shutdown.
- The Trump administration's 25% tariffs on steel and aluminum imports kicked in today, prompting reciprocal responses from major U.S. trading partners. Canadian officials said they would impose over $20 billion in retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods.
- President Donald Trump hosted the Irish prime minister at the White House, a bilateral meeting that traditionally coincides with St. Patrick's Day. The two also attended a Friends of Ireland luncheon at the Capitol and a celebration at the White House.
Coverage of this live blog has ended. For the latest news, click here.
Wisconsin Supreme Court candidates spar over abortion rights and influence of Elon Musk and George Soros
A pair of jurists vying to be Wisconsin’s next Supreme Court justice sparred tonight ahead of the first major statewide race in a battleground since the 2024 election.
The tense one-hour debate in Milwaukee between liberal judge Susan Crawford and conservative judge Brad Schimel focused in large part on reproductive rights and the millions of dollars being spent on the race by high-profile billionaires and outside groups in what’s technically a nonpartisan election scheduled for April 1.
The contest will determine the court’s ideological balance for the second time in two years — and possibly the future of several issues related to abortion rights, unions and congressional maps.
Crawford is a state judge in Madison who worked earlier in her career in the Democratic administration of then-Gov. Jim Doyle. Schimel, also a state judge, in Waukesha County, previously was the state’s Republican attorney general.
Trouble is brewing for local beer companies as Trump slaps tariffs on aluminum
The math is tight for Thom Cheston. Standing in the walk-in fridge that stores the beer to be shipped across the Washington, D.C., area, he runs through a few numbers.
He says his business, Right Proper Brewing, has to sell more than $6,000 of beer just to cover the taxes on his brewery. He’s hesitant to raise prices because his competitors, most notably the big breweries, might not. And so having to pay more for the aluminum cans that ship his brews is a scary proposition.
Trump’s 25% tariffs on steel and aluminum took effect today, and one of the places Americans touch aluminum most directly is in canned drinks. The increase in the price of canning material could dramatically hit the bottom lines of many businesses, such as craft breweries.
“We can’t raise our prices just because our costs have gone up,” Cheston said. “We may be on the shelf next to breweries that are much larger than us, that may be in a better position to absorb those costs, whereas we are not.”
Judge orders DOGE to quickly turn over documents in lawsuit brought by 14 states
U.S. District Judge Tanya S. Chutkan today ordered Musk and his Department of Government Efficiency to produce documents requested by more than a dozen state attorneys general in a lawsuit that alleges Trump gave him “virtually unchecked authority ... without proper legal authorization from Congress and without meaningful supervision of his activities.”
Chutkan, who oversaw the criminal case against Trump in connection with his efforts to overturn the 2020 election results, granted a motion for expedited discovery while she narrowed the scope of discovery and ordered the defendants to turn over the requested documents within 21 days.
“The court recognizes that discovery into the Executive, particularly the White House and Senior Advisors, imposes a heightened burden. Accordingly, the court does not authorize all the discovery that Plaintiffs request, imposes several additional restrictions on the scope, and extends Defendants’ time to respond," she wrote.
Tim Walz to hold town hall in Iowa as Republicans avoid in-person events
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, the 2024 Democratic nominee for vice president, said he plans to hold a town hall in neighboring Iowa this week.
"I’m going Friday. I think I’m headed [to] Iowa. I've been asked by these folks," Walz told MSNBC's Chris Hayes tonight. "I'm going to go use the platform that I have and hand them the megaphone to talk about this."
Walz first teased plans to host events in red districts last week, after the chair of the campaign arm for House Republicans advised GOP lawmakers to nix in-person town halls over blowback to Musk and his Department of Government Efficiency.
"If your Republican representative won’t meet with you because their agenda is so unpopular, maybe a Democrat will. Hell, maybe I will," Walz wrote on X. "If your congressman refuses to meet, I’ll come host an event in their district to help local Democrats beat ’em."
Republican lawmakers have faced fierce backlash at town halls in recent weeks over the sweeping cuts enacted by DOGE.
"I wouldn't do those town halls if I were them, either, because they have to defend cutting Medicare, cutting Medicaid, hurting the local public school, fighting a trade war with Canada," Walz said tonight. "Just the nonsense and defending President Musk."
Rep. Robert Garcia, D-Calif, said last week the party was preparing to host town halls in Republican districts, a strategy Rep. Maxwell Frost, D-Fla., expanded on today.
What the Education Department layoffs could mean for students with disabilities
Massive layoffs initiated this week at the Education Department could hamstring the federal government’s efforts to assist students with disabilities, former officials and education experts said, citing blows to the agency’s civil rights and research divisions.
Yesterday, the department began laying off around 1,300 employees, cutting nearly half the staff in its Office for Civil Rights and over 100 from the Institute of Education Sciences, according to information released by American Federation of Government Employees Local 252, the union for department staff.
The cuts in those two divisions mean there will be far fewer staff members to finish the 12,000 pending federal investigations into allegations of civil rights violations at schools — roughly half of which involve disability issues — and fewer employees to review and distribute government-funded research into effective ways to educate children with autism or severe intellectual disabilities.
The layoffs are the first step toward dismantling the department, a goal espoused by Trump and his education secretary, Linda McMahon. Experts say they raise concerns about what the future will look like for civil rights enforcement as the Trump administration continues chipping away at federal oversight.
Gavin Newsom defends decision to have Steve Bannon on his podcast
California Gov. Gavin Newsom today defended his decision to invite people he called "right-wingers" onto his podcast amid backlash from some Democrats.
In a letter emailed to his supporters, Newsom called the podcast interviews a “critically important” effort to “understand how the MAGA-right organized itself during the last election and what they are thinking about in the weeks, months and years ahead.”
Newsom, in an earlier episode of the "This is Gavin Newsom" podcast, interviewed right-wing provocateur Charlie Kirk, the founder of Turning Point USA. Today he released an episode featuring former Trump White House strategist Steve Bannon.
"I also don’t think there’s anywhere else someone like Steve Bannon — a self-proclaimed populist — is going to be asked to defend the harmful impact of Trump’s tariffs," Newsom wrote. “Bannon also talks a lot about the influence of oligarchs, yet Trump’s cabinet is filled from top-to-bottom with them. Do Trump supporters know that? Would Bannon defend that?"
Bannon told Newsom on the podcast that he does not think Elon Musk will be able to cut $1 trillion in government spending through his Department of Government Efficiency.
During his interview with Kirk last week, Newsom said transgender girls’ and women’s competing in female sports was “deeply unfair.”
He said he plans to interview Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, the 2024 Democratic nominee for vice president, in his next episode.
'It's too late': Republicans react to Democrats' push for new funding bill
Senate Republicans tonight indicated that was little to no time to pursue a Democratic alternative to the House-passed GOP funding bill before this week's shutdown deadline.
Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, who chairs the Appropriations Committee and had publicly advocated for a short-term alternative stopgap funding bill that would allow more time to finish individual spending bills, pointed to limited timing and the House’s departure.
“At this point, I think it’s too late,” Collins said, adding that Trump said he would veto a short-term funding bill like the one being offered by Democrats.
Sen John Cornyn, R-Texas, said he didn’t think there would be an amendment vote on a short-term funding bill, citing the looming shutdown.
“The problem is if it passes here, then the House is gone and we get a shutdown on Friday,” Cornyn said.
Senate Majority Leader John Thune, R-S.D., said he’s open to having a conversation with Democrats about having an amendment vote on a short-term funding bill, but he said he was unaware of a request to do so.
“I don’t think they’ve made any kind of an offer like that yet," Thune told reporters. “I think right now they’re still trying to figure out how they want to see this wrap up."
Thune said that "in the end," what's available to the Senate is the continuing resolution passed by the House, which has already left for the week with no plans of returning until March 24.
All 100 senators would have to agree to move quickly if they want to vote on the funding bill before government funding expires at the end of the day Friday. That agreement would likely include votes on amendments that would be taken to let senators get on the record supporting an alternative, but it would fail and leave the underlying House-passed bill untouched.
If the Senate passes the House-passed bill without amending it, it would go to Trump’s desk for his signature. If the Senate amends the bill, it returns to the House.
EPA administrator announces huge rollback of environmental regulations
Promising to drive “a dagger through the heart of climate-change religion,” Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin today outlined plans for an aggressive rollback of environmental regulations.
In a Wall Street Journal opinion piece and an EPA news release, Zeldin announced that he intends to reconsider more than a dozen core EPA rules and regulations, including those pertaining to emissions standards for vehicles, pollution from power plants and the finding that provides the scientific basis for addressing climate change.
“Today marks the death of the Green New Scam,” Zeldin wrote in the Journal, arguing that his deregulation plan would create an environment in which “businesses can thrive and infrastructure can be built.” He added that he wants to reassess rules that, in his view, “throttled oil and gas production and unfairly targeted coal-fired power plants” and suggested that his proposed actions would roll back “trillions of dollars in regulatory costs.”
The EPA announced that it will revisit water pollution limits for coal plants, air quality standards for small particles and the mandatory reporting of greenhouse gas emissions by large emitters like oil and gas companies, among other rules.
USAID official defends document destruction
A top official at the U.S. Agency for International Development said in a court filing today there was nothing nefarious about her directive to staffers yesterday to shred and burn classified documents.
Erica Carr, USAID's acting executive secretary, said she'd ordered the destruction of "outdated and no longer needed derivatively classified documents" as part of the decommissioning of the agency's space in the Ronald Reagan Building in Washington, D.C.
“The vast majority of the removed documents were either (1) copies of classified documents that were originally classified by other government agencies, or (2) derivatively-classified documents that were created for the purposes of, but not limited to, high-level meetings, official government travel, and intelligence briefings, which USAID no longer has a need to retain," Carr said in the court filing.
Groups challenging the administration’s plans to shut down the agency had filed an emergency motion to block the document destruction after word of Carr's email became public. The email had asked employees for “assistance in clearing our classified safes and personnel documents.”
Irish prime minister praises Trump for 'noble' effort to end wars in Ukraine and Gaza
Irish Taoiseach Micheál Martin praised Trump for the "unrelenting focus and energy" he has brought to securing peace deals to end the wars in Ukraine and the Middle East.
"In my view, there is nothing more noble ... than the pursuit of peace, and this is what you are doing," Martin said today at a St Patrick's Day reception in the White House. "Ireland is ready to work with you and our international partners to end conflict and especially to bring just, lasting and sustainable peace to the people of Ukraine and the people of the Middle East."
Martin outlined the human toll of the war, noting in particular the effects of battle on the "most vulnerable."
"Many children, in particular, have died in Gaza, in Israel, in Sudan, and too many children have been abducted in Ukraine. Let us together never cease to strive for peace, prosperity and opportunity for all the world's children," he said.
Trump has repeatedly called himself the only person who can quickly end the war in Ukraine, and he has sidelined European leaders in trying to do so. His administration has held separate talks with Russian and Ukrainian officials in Saudi Arabia but has not invited European officials to join either discussion.
After Trump's Oval Office clash with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy last month, the European Union's foreign minister questioned the U.S. role on the world stage.
“Today it became clear that the free world needs a new leader. It’s up to us, Europeans, to take this challenge," foreign minister Kaja Kallas said.