A teenager was jailed on murder charges after he reported killing four members of his family at a New Mexico home Saturday, officials said.
The 16-year-old called 911 at 3:32 a.m. to report the deaths near the small city of Belen, 33 miles south of Albuquerque, New Mexico State Police said.
The teenager, who was "extremely intoxicated," left a residence and surrendered to arriving deputies with his hands raised, police said.
Inside, authorities found four people dead and a handgun on the kitchen table, police said.
State police released the identity of the teenager and the victims; however, NBC News does not typically name juveniles accused of crimes.
The four people who were killed were 42, 35, 17 and 14. Their relationships to one another and the suspect were not immediately available, but police said he "told a dispatcher he had killed his family."
On Monday, state police corrected the age of one victim, previously described as 16, saying the victim was 17.
Authorities did not release additional information, including a possible motive.
"New Mexico State Police Investigations Bureau agents and Crime Scene Team are processing the scene and conducting interviews to learn what led up to these tragic events," the agency said.
The teenage suspect was "medically cleared" at a hospital and booked at the Juvenile Justice Center in Albuquerque early Sunday, police said.
The suspect was charged with four counts of first-degree murder, police said.
Chief Deputy District Attorney Jessica Martinez of the judicial district that includes Belen, said it was likely the 16-year-old would be charged as an adult because New Mexico law allows defendants ages 16 and 17 who are charged with first-degree murder to be prosecuted in open criminal court without red tape.
It was not immediately clear whether the suspect has legal counsel. Public defenders based in Albuquerque did not immediately respond to a request for comment.