IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Matthew Perry's ketamine suppliers could face charges in probe of 'Friends' star's death, sources say

Los Angeles police said they were working with the DEA and had an “open investigation” into the source of the drug.
Get more newsLiveon

LOS ANGELES — A federal investigation into who supplied actor Matthew Perry with ketamine before his death last year could result in charges against several people, a law enforcement source familiar with the probe told NBC News on Wednesday.

In May, Los Angeles police said they were working with the Drug Enforcement Administration and had an "open investigation" into the source of Perry’s ketamine following his death at his home on Oct. 28.

The law enforcement source said that the federal probe continues and that there would be no immediate action. People magazine first reported the news.

Perry, 54, best known for his role as Chandler Bing on "Friends," was found unresponsive in his pool, according to the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s Office. He died from the acute effects of ketamine with contributing factors including drowning, coronary artery disease and the effects of buprenorphine, a synthetic opioid used to treat opioid use disorder, the medical examiner’s office said.

Perry had been open about his past drug use but had reportedly been clean for 19 months, the medical examiner's report said. He reportedly was receiving ketamine infusion therapy to treat depression and anxiety, with his last treatment being 1½ weeks before he died, the coroner said.

But the coroner said the levels of ketamine still in Perry's body were high, around what is used for general anesthesia during surgery. The coroner said it was unclear why the drug would still be in his system, because it metabolizes within hours.

Los Angeles police are also investigating Perry’s death.