IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Two young boys die in separate Halloween hayride tractor incidents

Both boys were run over by tractors at Halloween hayride events.

Two young boys have died in separate tractor accidents at Halloween hayrides in Tennessee and Minnesota, local officials said. In Minnesota, Alexander Mick, 13, of Rice, died Saturday after he was run over by a tractor-pulled trolley wagon, the Stearns County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement

The sheriff’s office received a call around 7:30 p.m. about a young male injured after he was run over at the annual Harvest of Horror Haunted Hayride in St. Augusta. 

Staff members and bystanders, including an off-duty police officer and an off-duty medic, rendered aid. Lifesaving efforts continued when first responders arrived, but the boy was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.

The accident is under investigation. 

The website for the Harvest of Horror Haunted Hayride said: “Out of respect to the family involved, the organizers have made the decision to cancel the remaining nights of the 2024 Harvest of Horror.”

The website said a “tragic accident” occurred Saturday evening that “involved the event’s hayride and resulted in a fatality.”

“We are cooperating fully with the authorities and are grateful for their support. We are deeply shaken by this event and are asking for thoughts, prayers and support for the family and friends of the individual involved and all those affected by this tragedy,” the event organizers said. 

In Hamilton County, Tennessee, a young boy who tried to jump on a trailer to try to scare some hayriders at the Haunted Hilltop Halloween Event on Friday “had possibly slipped and fallen underneath the wheels and was found unresponsive,” the sheriff’s office said. 

The sheriff’s office responded at 10:45 p.m. A chaperone for a group of children said they had been playing near a hayride tractor route and were behind some bushes trying to scare some hayriders when the incident happened. 

The boy was pronounced dead on the scene.

The sheriff’s office did not identify the child. The Hamilton County Medical Examiner’s Office identified him as Samuel Jessen, 12, NBC affiliate WSMV of Nashville reported. An online fundraiser has been set up to support his family.

“The HCSO family extends our thoughts and sympathy to the family of the deceased juvenile, as well as the others who witnessed the tragic event. We ask the community to also keep this family in their prayers during this difficult time,” the sheriff’s office said in a statement. 

The Haunted Hilltop was closed Saturday. Organizers wrote on Facebook that “our Hearts and Prayers go out to the family affected in this, Please keep us all in your prayers!”