IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Prince William pulls out of memorial service for his godfather because of 'personal matter'

King Charles III, who is being treated for an undisclosed form of cancer, also did not attend the service for his cousin.
The Prince And Princess Of Wales Visit Hereford
Prince William, Prince of Wales, in Hereford, England, on Sept. 14.Cameron Smith / Getty Images file
/ Source: The Associated Press

Kensington Palace says Britain’s Prince William has pulled out of attending a memorial service for his godfather, the late King Constantine of Greece, because of a personal matter.

The palace declined to elaborate on Tuesday but said his wife, the Princess of Wales, who is recovering from abdominal surgery, continues to do well.

It said William called the Greek royal family, which is attending the memorial service in St. George’s Chapel in Windsor, to let them know he was unable to attend. Constantine II of Greece died in January of last year at the age of 82.

King Charles III, who is being treated for an undisclosed form of cancer, also will not attend the service for his cousin. The monarch has canceled all his public engagements while he receives treatment.

William's cancellation comes after his wife Kate, 42, underwent abdominal surgery last month. Officials have previously said she was making good progress in her recovery.

Following Kate's operation, William, the 41-year-old heir to the throne, postponed official duties to care for their three children, George, Charlotte and Louis.

While William resumed engagements earlier this month, his wife is not due to return to public events until after Easter.

In his absence, Queen Camilla was joined by other senior royals at the service for the late King Constantine, who was a relation of William’s grandfather Prince Philip.