IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Fulton County DA Fani Willis asks appeals court to reinstate six counts in Trump election case

The district attorney requested that the Georgia Court of Appeals restore counts, including three against Trump, that she said were wrongly discarded in the 2020 election case.
Fani Willis poses for a protrait
The election interference case has been on hold over efforts to disqualify Willis as prosecutor.Megan Varner for The Washington Post via Getty Images file

Fulton County prosecutors asked a Georgia appeals court this week to restore six counts that were tossed in the indictment of former President Donald Trump and his allies over attempts to overturn his 2020 election loss in the state.

In a court filing, prosecutors from Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis' office requested that the state's Court of Appeals reinstate six counts, including three against Trump, that she said Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee wrongly discarded earlier this year.

"The trial court erred by quashing six counts of the indictment in this case, each of which alleged the crime of Solicitation of Violation of Oath by Public Officer," they wrote.

The counts in question, prosecutors wrote, involve a defendant taking a punishable step toward executing another crime.

"The trial court erred by requiring the State to plead with specific details as to the target crime of violation of oath by public officer, which is not required for a charge of solicitation of violation of oath by public officer," they added.

The three solicitation counts against Trump included accusations that he solicited Georgia House Speaker David Ralston and twice solicited Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger.

Prosecutors also filed a request for an oral argument on the matter.

Steve Sadow, Trump's lead attorney in the case, said in a statement Wednesday that the brief from prosecutors was “simply incorrect on the law.”

“The trial court’s dismissal order properly decided that the State failed to sufficiently plead the allegations in the dismissed counts under Georgia law,” Sadow said.

McAfee in March rejected six of the counts in the indictment against the former president and some of his co-defendants, including former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows and one-time Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani. The judge said prosecutors had failed to provide enough detail about the underlying felony solicited, leaving defendants with insufficient information to prepare their defenses.

McAfee tossed out three more of the initial 41 counts last month, including two brought against Trump.

Four of the original 19 co-defendants in the case have pleaded guilty, while Trump, Meadows, Giuliani and the others have pleaded not guilty.

The case has been on hold over efforts to disqualify Willis as prosecutor.

CORRECTION (Oct. 18, 2024, 8:55 a.m. ET): Because of an editing error, an earlier version of this article misstated how many counts are against Trump. Three of the six counts that prosecutors are trying to get reinstated are against the former president, not all six.