IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

What to know about the Blake Lively and Justin Baldoni drama: Legal complaint, PR accusations and more

Lively has alleged that her “It Ends With Us” co-star and director created a hostile work environment and tried to ruin her reputation. Baldoni denied the accusations.
Get more newsLiveon

A flurry of internet commentary has reignited in recent weeks after Blake Lively filed a civil rights complaint against her “It Ends With Us” co-star and director, Justin Baldoni. 

The complaint, filed with the California Civil Rights Department on Dec. 20, accused Baldoni of sexual harassment during filming, as well as retaliation against Lively, after she raised issues about his on-set behavior. She alleged that Baldoni hired a crisis publicity firm to engage in a “social manipulation campaign” to smear her while they were promoting the film. Such a filing with the state is often a precursor to a lawsuit.

An attorney for Baldoni called the allegations “completely false, outrageous and intentionally salacious” and accused Lively of trying to salvage her reputation. 

Baldoni sued in Los Angeles County Superior Court on Dec. 31 accusing The New York Times of libel for its Dec. 21 story about Lively's allegations. The Times, which was first to report on the complaint, has stood by its reporting.

The same day, Lively also sued Baldoni in the Southern District of New York. She alleges that Baldoni, the film’s production company, Wayfarer Studios, and others engaged in “a carefully crafted, coordinated, and resourced retaliatory scheme to silence her, and others, from speaking out.” An attorney for Baldoni called the accusations a "vicious smear campaign fully orchestrated by Blake Lively and her team."

The highly anticipated film “It Ends With Us,” which was released in theaters in August, is an adaptation of a popular Colleen Hoover novel, which Hoover said was inspired by her parents’ abusive marriage

Baldoni bought the rights for the book through Wayfarer Studios in 2019. Plans surrounding its development, including Lively’s casting, had been a buzzed-about topic in the years leading up to the movie’s release. 

But during the film’s media tour, fans began theorizing about dynamics between the stars behind the scenes. That led to a firestorm for Lively as an online narrative began to spread that accused her of being insensitive and controlling and of engaging in “mean girl” behavior.” She says Baldoni’s team fanned the flames to try to destroy her reputation, an allegation his attorney denies.

Here's what to know.

The media tour leads to online backlash

Interest in the film’s on-set dynamics was piqued over the summer when fans noticed that Baldoni followed his co-stars on Instagram but that neither Lively nor actor Jenny Slate followed him. 

In the film, Lively portrays heroine Lily Bloom, while Baldoni plays her abusive romantic partner, Ryle Kincaid. Slate plays Allysa Kincaid, Lily’s best friend and Ryle’s sister.

It became evident in August that Baldoni was not doing interviews with other members of the cast, though he was a lead actor, the director and a producer. He did not take photos with the other actors at the premiere, though others joined in red-carpet group photos. 

"It Ends With Us" - London Photocall
Blake Lively and Isabela Ferrer at the London photo call for "It Ends With Us" on Aug. 8.Dave Benett / WireImage via Getty Images file

Fans began to speculate that behind-the-scenes drama was dividing the cast.

As armchair detectives began to theorize about the cause of the rift and a possible power struggle, some pointed to Lively’s interview with E! in which she said her husband, Ryan Reynolds, wrote a scene in the film. 

The way the film was marketed sparked criticism, as some felt that the tone of the media campaign was too lighthearted for a topic such as domestic violence. 

Lively took the brunt of that criticism, as she encouraged women to “grab your friends” and “wear your florals” to see the film. During the publicity campaign, she also promoted her own businesses —  beverage company Betty Buzz and hair care brand Blake Brown. 

Many online labeled Lively as insensitive and called her a “mean girl.” Some on social media accused her of ostracizing Baldoni to take control of the film, and her responses to interviewers were branded as rude.

Meanwhile, Baldoni contrasted Lively’s tone in his interviews by repeatedly bringing up survivors of domestic violence. He shared resources for those experiencing domestic violence in his personal social media posts, in addition to his interviews. 

In an interview with NBC’s “TODAY” show in August, Baldoni touched on the online speculation of drama by broadly saying making a movie involves “navigating complex personalities” to get on the same page. 

“And mistakes are always made, and then you figure out how to move past them,” he said at the time.

Civil rights complaint 

Months after the film’s release, onlookers gained new insight into the situation onset that appeared to cause so much tension during the media tour.

The New York Times reported on Dec. 21 that Lively filed a complaint with the California Civil Rights Department against Baldoni, Wayfarer Studios, Wayfarer CEO Jamey Heath and PR xperts hired by both men. NBC News has also obtained and reviewed the filing. 

Lively alleged that she was the subject of repeated sexual harassment from Baldoni while she was working on the film. 

She accused him of making inappropriate comments about her appearance, demanding she be nude in scenes in which the script did not call for nudity and unexpectedly biting her during kissing scenes. She also alleged that he and Heath walked into her trailer unannounced while she was undressed. 

“Mr. Baldoni was caressing Ms. Lively with his mouth in a way that had nothing to do with their roles,” the filing said, detailing one incident it alleges. “When Ms. Lively later objected to this behavior, Mr. Baldoni’s response was, ‘I’m not even attracted to you,’” it said.

Baldoni and Heath are also accused of discussing their sexual experiences and “pornography addiction.”

Baldoni “routinely degraded” Lively, according to the filing. She alleged that four months after she gave birth, Baldoni privately contacted her fitness trainer to imply that he wanted her to lose weight.

“Mr. Baldoni told the trainer that he had asked because he was concerned about having to pick Ms. Lively up in a scene for the movie, but there was no such scene,” the filing said.

The filing also included a letter from Lively’s attorneys dated Nov. 9, 2023, with a list of “protections” Lively required to return to the set. 

Demands included: the presence of an intimacy coordinator with Lively at all times on the set, no discussions of personal experiences with sex or nudity, the hiring of an experienced producer to supervise the set, and no spontaneous improvisations in scenes of physical intimacy. 

There was also an all-hands meeting to discuss the issues that “had nearly derailed production of the film,” the filing said.

The alleged smear campaign

In the lead-up to the film’s release, Lively alleges, Baldoni and his associates at Wayfarer hired a crisis communications firm because they feared that the behind-the-scenes issues would become public. 

He hired Melissa Nathan’s firm, The Agency Group PR, to formulate a “social manipulation” campaign designed to “destroy” Lively’s reputation on July 31, the filing said. It alleged that Nathan delivered a proposal that included “creation of social fan engagement to go back and forth with any negative accounts.” 

According to the filing, that method of engagement is called “astroturfing,” and it is designed to look like opinion commentary from the general public when it is actually coming from a particular group. 

The filing included purported text messages between Baldoni’s publicist, Jennifer Abel, and Nathan discussing the plan. Abel is alleged to have told Nathan that “he wants to feel like she can be buried.” 

Blake Lively
Blake Lively in "It Ends With Us."Nicole Rivelli / Sony Pictures

Nathan is alleged to have replied that “you know we can bury anyone. But I can’t write that to him.”

The filing alleged that the publicists worked to bury potential stories in news outlets about human resources complaints lodged against Baldoni and to post stories portraying Lively in a negative light. 

The filing also said Baldoni began to deviate from the marketing plan devised by Sony, the movie’s distributor, which urged the cast to focus on selling the film as a tale of female “triumph.” 

The filing said Baldoni publicly agreed to the plan but then chose to pivot “in an effort to quickly shift his own public narrative to focus solely on survivors and domestic violence organizations.”

What does Baldoni say? 

Talent agency William Morris Endeavor dropped Baldoni as a client after Lively’s filing, Ari Emanuel, chief executive of the agency’s parent company, Endeavor, told the Times.

WME did not reply to a request for comment. 

Bryan Freedman, the attorney representing Baldoni, Wayfarer Studios and all its representatives, described Lively’s allegations as “categorically false.”

“These claims are completely false, outrageous and intentionally salacious with an intent to publicly hurt and rehash a narrative in the media,” he said in a statement.

He accused Lively of trying to salvage her own “negative reputation,” which she garnered when people began “to generate their own views and opinions.” 

Freedman said Lively engaged her team to “plant negative and completely fabricated and false stories with media” before the film’s release, a move that he said prompted Wayfarer Studios to hire a crisis communications firm. 

In a statement to the Times, Lively denied that she or any of her representatives planted stories or spoke negatively about Baldoni or Wayfarer Studios. 

“I hope that my legal action helps pull back the curtain on these sinister retaliatory tactics to harm people who speak up about misconduct and helps protect others who may be targeted,” she said. 

In a statement to Variety, a spokesperson for Sony Pictures Entertainment reiterated the studio's support for Lively. The statement did not mention Baldoni.

“We have previously expressed our support for Blake in connection with her work on and for the film. We fully and firmly reiterate that support today,” the statement read. “Further, we strongly condemn any reputational attacks on her. Any such attacks have no place in our business or in a civil society.”

Sony Pictures Entertainment did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Lively and Baldoni file their lawsuits

On Dec. 31, Baldoni and his publicists sued The New York Times for libel, claiming that if the newspaper “truly reviewed the thousands of private communications it claimed to have obtained, its reporters would have seen incontrovertible evidence that it was Lively, not Plaintiffs, who engaged in a calculated smear campaign.” 

Lively is not named as a defendant in the suit, which seeks $250 million in damages and accuses the Times of defaming Baldoni and his publicists in the article, titled “‘We Can Bury Anyone’: Inside a Hollywood Smear Machine.”

According to the 87-page lawsuit, the Times relied on “‘cherry-picked’ and altered communications stripped of necessary context and deliberately spliced to mislead.”

The 10 plaintiffs, who include Nathan and Abel, also accuse the Times of promissory fraud and breach of implied-in-fact contract.

The Times said it plans “to vigorously defend against the lawsuit.”

“Our story was meticulously and responsibly reported," the paper said in a statement. "It was based on a review of thousands of pages of original documents, including the text messages and emails that we quote accurately and at length in the article.”

Hours later, Lively also sued, claiming Baldoni had orchestrated a smear campaign against her with the intention of ruining her reputation. 

Attorneys for Lively said her “decision to speak out has resulted in further retaliation and attacks.”

“As alleged in Ms. Lively’s federal Complaint, Wayfarer and its associates have violated federal and California state law by retaliating against her for reporting sexual harassment and workplace safety concerns,” the attorneys said. “Now, the defendants will answer for their conduct in federal court.”

Baldoni's attorneys filed a second suit Jan. 16 accusing Lively of a variety of civil charges, including civil extortion, defamation, and interference with contractual relations. Lively's husband and publicist were also named in the lawsuit.

The suit, also filed in the Southern District of New York, seeks $400 million in damages after accusing Lively and Reynolds of trying to steal authority on the film's production from Baldoni and Wayfarer Studios. It accuses Lively of using Baldoni as a scapegoat for her "publicly tainted image" and leveraging "her power as a wealthy celebrity to take creative control of the film."

Lively's legal team responded, accusing Baldoni's team of utilizing a tactic associated with perpetrators of abuse called DARVO — Deny. Attack. Reverse victim and offender. She also stated that it was Sony that asked Lively to oversee the version of the film the studio would distribute.

"They are trying to shift the narrative to Ms. Lively by falsely claiming that she seized creative control and alienated the cast from Mr. Baldoni," her team said. "The evidence will show that the cast and others had their own negative experiences with Mr. Baldoni and Wayfarer."

Stars rally behind Lively

Since she filed her complaint, Lively has received a wave of support, including from Hoover. 

Hoover posted a photo of her and Lively to her Instagram stories with a link to the Times article. She appeared to address Lively, writing that “you have been nothing but honest, kind, supportive and patient since the day we met. Thank you for being exactly the human that you are. Never change. Never wilt.”

"It Ends With Us" co-stars Slate and Brandon Sklenar also shared their support.

In an Instagram story, Sklenar shared the New York Times report about the complaint. “For the love of God read this,” he wrote, tagging Lively with a red heart emoji.

Slate told TODAY.com that she stands by her “loyal friend” and “trusted source of emotional support.”

“As Blake Lively’s castmate and friend, I voice my support as she takes action against those reported to have planned and carried out an attack on her reputation,” Slate said in a statement.

Alexis Bledel, America Ferrera and Amber Tamblyn said in a joint statement that they “stand in solidarity” with Lively. The four women starred together in the “Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” film series nearly 20 years ago and have remained friends.

“We are struck by the reality that even if a woman is as strong, celebrated, and resourced as our friend Blake, she can face forceful retaliation for daring to ask for a safe working environment,” the statement said.

Amber Heard criticized the destructive nature of social media in a response to a request for comment on Lively’s California Civil Rights complaint. Lively’s complaint alleged that the firm Baldoni hired had previously been hired by Johnny Depp while he sued Heard, his ex-wife, for defamation regarding her allegations that he abused her. 

A jury unanimously found that Heard had defamed Depp, and he was awarded $5 million in punitive damages and $10 million in compensatory damages. Heard was also awarded $2 million in compensatory damages in her counterclaim but nothing in punitive damages.  Heard settled her defamation case in December 2022, characterizing the settlement as “an opportunity to emancipate myself from something I attempted to leave over six years ago and on terms I can agree to.”

“Social media is the absolute personification of the classic saying ‘A lie travels halfway around the world before truth can get its boots on,’” Heard said. “I saw this firsthand and up close. It’s as horrifying as it is destructive.”